Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sons and Lovers

I've just finished reading "Sons and Lovers", by D.H. Lawrence.



Written in 1913, it tells of the Morel family, more particularly Paul Morel and his relationship with Miriam (religious, repressed), Clara (older, centred), and his mother Gertrude. Heavily autobiographical, Lawrence's relationship with his mother must have been deeply dysfunctional. Even allowing for autobiographical artistic license, the mother-figure in this novel is restrictive, cloying, suffocating and imprisoning. Lawrence is at his best when he conveys the natural world: his descriptions of animals, plants, and landscapes are breathtaking. Impressive in places, but an uneven novel.

I look forward to reading "The Rainbow" and then "Women in Love", but I've just started Anna Karenina, so they will have to wait!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read Sons and Lovers yet, sounds intriguing, I will attempt to allow myself enough time next hbolidays to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Bro, your bro here. Nice blog not that I understand blogging. Once I do will blog more. later your bro & Trish

    ReplyDelete