Thursday, November 8, 2012

Garden Update

Hello everybody. It's been a while since my last post, but a lot has been happening in the garden. You can see in the photo above new plantings. From left to right: runner beans on a trellis - very vigorous. Radishes - French Breakfast - surrounding two chilli plants. The chilli plants, contained within housebricks, have lots of fruit. Spicy fruit! Then another upright trellis with two tomato plants. Just behind the tomatoes are 4 capsicum plants. I only planted them yesterday so they won't move for a while yet. Then some open ground, before we get to my teepee trellis. See pic below.


The teepee trellis. On each leg of the trellis is a runner bean plant. Then between the runner beans I have planted a couple of Lebanese cucumber. I have wired netting over the closest three legs, for the cucumbers, but left the far side open so that I can get to the fruit. I suspect that this trelllis will get pretty crowded later on.

Another photo of the established runner bean, radishes and chillies in foreground.


This is my main tomato garden. On the extreme left, in two square pots, are baby carrots. To the left of the carrots, hidden, is a long pot of germinating lettuce seeds. Six tomato plants, all different varieties. Extreme right is a cherry tomato plant. The rest are standard varieties, although one will produce purple tomatoes and one will produce yellow tomatoes. In the bottom left corner, where the soil looks darker and fresher, I have planted sweet basil seeds. I intend to plant some more around other plants, and also plant some French marigold seeds.

Another view of tomatoes. The cardboard is an attempt to suppress weeds. I intend to pave this path (which will be a lot narrower than this wide cardboard) between the rows with decent pavers, but haven't the money nor the time at the moment.

Well, I hope you enjoy seeing my garden. Remember to click on these pics for enlargements.



No comments:

Post a Comment