Monday, November 7, 2011

It's Getting Warmer

Ok, the days are getting warmer now. It's been a while since I last blogged. The primary reason for my indolence is that I like to post pics with my writings, but often forget to take the iphone/photo - computer connection to work. So I'm going to write something anyway, and maybe supply the photos later.

Like I said, it's getting warmer now. The air conditioning isn't working properly at work, so work is a drag. Hope they get it fixed soon. It's ok at home, though.

My vegetable garden:

1. The broad beans are cropping magnificently. I've had 4 or 5 buckets of beans already! The crop is slowing now, though. Broad beans don't like warm weather. I'm going to pull them all up, put them aside, empty my compost bin and spread the compost around, and then start composting the broad bean stems and leaves. Plenty of those!

2. Tomatoes. I have 9 tomato plants in my garden, all varieties. I've dusted them, they are flowering, and the first fruit is now showing. On track for a good crop this year! I've also companion planted basil between the tomato plants.

3. Spinach. Bit slow, these boys. I gave them a dose of seaweed extract this morning so that should help. They've been growing in the shade of the broad beans (the 2 metre tall broad beans!) but since I've pruned the beans back a bit the spinach is receiving more consistent sunshine.  They are growing next to my radishes which began well but are now slowing a bit. The weather again, I suspect.

4. Lettuce. Last season I grew Cos, a pretty safe variety, and the crop was superb. This year I have Cos, but also a couple of other varieties. They all look good, although need a lot of water all the time. Shallow roots. Very thirsty. I might organise a bit of shadecloth to cover them during peak heat stress hours if the weather gets any hotter.

Anyway, that's all for now. I'll try to get some pics posted soon.

Adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment